Re: Re: Had fun with Hershey fonts...

On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 2:46 AM, Lorenzo <lomarcan@...> wrote:

> --- In kicad-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Vesa Solonen <vsolonen@...> wrote:
>
>> Oh yes it is, but only because it is currently fully sw rendered. As long
>> as every primitive is drawn also without any caching it's going to be
>> slow.
>
> Helpful tip: Porter-Duff composition (AKA alpha transparency) in general
> cannot be cached :((
>
>> Do you have any clue where the limit is? If you test Kicadocaml you'll get
>> some idea where your HW is. I also did some testing for lines along the
>> example here: http://www.siafoo.net/snippet/97 by using random vertex
>> points in mouse event and was really surprised how many AAlines r200 can
>> do.

Ooo someone mentioned kicadocaml!! If it is actually being used (even
for a trivial thing?) I'll continue to develop it (well, I'll probably
continue to develop it because I'll continue to use it). FYI
kicadocaml does use vertex buffer objects, but they are *not* in
graphics memory, unfortunately. I have a patch for lablGL (ocaml
opengl library) that adds this, but it's too messy to commit, and it
would make building the project difficult. Also FYI kicadocaml does
antialiasing if your video card supports it (most good ones do).

Just actually bought a pick and place robot for $100 off ebay. I
weighs ~1000 lbs - shipping was $378. Once I get it running I'll post
a video. In the meantime, I'm enjoying the PCB manufacturing/circuit
design conversation :-)

cheers!
Tim