Re: Re: Layers visibility

Marco Serantoni wrote:
> --- In kicad-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Wayne Stambaugh <stambaughw@...> wrote:
>> While we are still in the brain storm mode, I had a few rumblings in my
>> head so I thought I would weight in on this discussion. I would like to
>> see a two pronged approach. A full featured implementation such as
>> Dick's suggestion of a modeless dialog is great for those users that
>> have more than one monitor. For those of us poor souls that have to
>> work on single monitor systems, a solution that doesn't use any more
>> screen real estate than necessary is preferable. Some CAD programs use
>> a combobox in the main tool bar to allow changing the current working
>> layer, turning layers on and off, and other minor layer settings. To
>> access the full layer editing dialog, you double-click on the layer you
>> wish to edit and have the full layer editing dialog open. The only real
>> issue I see with this solution besides the extra coding is that using a
>> modeless dialog would require keeping both the combobox and dialog
>> settings synchronized.
>
> Your poor soul seems to be in numerous companion.
> So If i'vent understand bad your idea is make something simpler like a couple of toolbar buttons near the existing combo with a couple of separators and a dialog showing the status of the layers in the complex ?

What I was thinking was extend the existing layer combobox to include
access to simple layer settings such as visibility, color, etc. Keep
the existing functionality of selecting the current working layer.
Double-clicking on a layer would open the full layer editing dialog for
the double-clicked layer. Take a look at the attached image. I would
prefer to see the layer name in the left most column of the combobox,
but this gives you an idea of what I was thinking. Also, the layer
editing dialog of this application uses a grid to access all of the
layer settings instead of accessing each layer individually.

Wayne

> --
> Marco

 --------------080404080807020504040505 Content-Type: image/png;