Re: Compiling for Windows under Linux

Hallo,

see below

Dick Hollenbeck napsal(a):
Milan,

Congratulations, on your perseverance, and fortitude!

[blush]

I expect that this capability will be used by some of the other
developers to generate Windows binaries from Linux. While it is still
fresh in your mind, I would like to gather all the data that we can, and
standardize and document the solution.

Here is a summary of what you've told us. You:

1) Had to use CMake 2.6.4, not 2.6.2. You did not mention any edits to
the CMake supplied FindwxWidgets.cmake for 2.6.4.

No edit done, just used the file from CMake 2.6.4

2) Had to build wxWidgets for windows without the '--enable-monolitic'
flag, so that the names of the generated libraries matched those looked
for in the stock FindwxWidgets.cmake

Libraries generated are named i.e. libwx28u_net_gcc_custom.dll but macro looks for libwx28_net.dll. Had to make a symlinks to them.

Macro also looks in directories, which are not created by compiling and installing wxWidgets. Had to make symlinks too.

Will report exact changes tomorrow (computer at work).

3) Had add a file UsewxWidgets.cmake to <kicad>/CMakeModules
directory. WE NEED THIS FILE COMMITTED?

Official file from CMake 2.6.4 - located in cmake/Modules directory too.

4) Had to change windres.exe to i586-mingw32msvc-windres in
MinGWResourceCompiler.cmake according to Mateusz. I would like to
find a way to isolate this change to your toolkit file. Can a proper
variable be injected in your toolkit file so that the standard winres
variable name can be used in MinGWResourceCompiler.cmake?

I think we can manage it by some host based check in cmake file. Will check it.

5) We need a copy of your toolkit file committed into the tree, although
developers should know that this one is considered very "host machine
dependent" and will need to be edited before use.

Will do. Will make it easily configurable.

Last is a question:

Were you able to build wxWidgets for Windows on Linux?

Yes, wxWidgets I'm talking about are compiled on Linux for Windows }By Mateusz's guide).

Milan

Thanks,

Dick