Re: bad dialogs

jean-pierre.charras@... wrote:
> Wayne Stambaugh a écrit :
>>

>> jean-pierre. charras@gipsa- lab.inpg. fr
>> <mailto:jean-pierre.charras%40gipsa-lab.inpg.fr> wrote:

>>> This dialog was created from an older dialog (in fact the old popup
>>> menu), using copy/paste.
>>> Some sentances capitalizations where modifed and others no (forgotten).
>>> This must be corrected.
>>> I did not tested it under Linux. Under Windows, no problem.
>>> Pcbnew uses only circular vias, so there is no difference between size
>>> and diameter.
>>> But i was thinking square vias could be supported, so this is the
>> reason
>>> i first used size instead of diameter.
>>> Because last Design rule dialog was using Via diameter, i used this
>> last
>>> name.
>>>
>>> Could an english speaker say what is the better name.
>>>
>>> In fact there is an error in columns labels, because i entered in
>>> wxFormBuilder 6 column labels and there is only 5 column.
>>> (wxFormBuilder does not prompt you on a such error), and i did not
>>> noticed this.
>>> Labels are not in the right place.
>>> I commited a change for this

>> (obviously

>>> This is an attempt to minimize mouse clicks.
>>> In fact, when i designed this dialog, i was hesitated to choose a Radio
>>> box + an Ok button ( i.e. a wxStdDialogButtonSi zer ) or 5 Ok buttons +
>>> 1 Cancel button.
>>> Good or bad idea ?
>>> I do not know.
>> JP,
>>
>> I think most users will find more than one OK button confusing because
>> historically the OK button generally means accept the changes made in
>> the dialog box. I would use check boxes here to enable or disable the
>> settings. If you are using these buttons to change the underlying
>> drawing by directly accessing the parent window, you should make this to
>> a modeless dialog and use events to update the parent window. This
>> allows you to keep the dialog and parent window manipulation code
>> independent of each other which makes the code easier to read, more
>> maintainable, and the dialog reusable.
>>
>> Wayne
>>
> Ok, Wayne.
> I committed a new dialog, using Gnome standards
> The problem reported by Dick (Column label too small under linux) is not
> solved.

I had a tough time solving this as well. I eventually had to pad an
empty sizer cell with a spacer to make it work and this may not work in
all cases. I'm not sure how your going to solve this with a grid
control. If I get some time this weekend, I'll see if I can figure out
what is going on. If you do come up with a solution, it might be a good
idea to post is somewhere (UIpolicies.txt?) so other developers don't
have to solve the problem again.