Re: We should decide a quoting convention...

--- In kicad-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Manveru <manveru@...> wrote:
> LyX (using Qt and UTF-8 for file encoding do not have problems with
> portability between Unix and Windows, as far as I know Python interpreters,
> too). So in case where wx methodology is used to handle all file operations
> all files should be portable.

Where wx methodology is used, yes :P but fprintf not...

And the you must decide what flavour of wx do you want to support in 2.9 (when built for utf-8 internal encoding kicad doesn't even compile). That's IMHO a very bad design choice from the wx people :(((

Also technically if wx uses the C locale functions (which probably does) itisn't guaranteed it will write in UTF-8...

with LANG=it_IT.utf8 would write UTF-8
with LANG=it_IT.iso88591 would write with a Latin-1 codepage
with LANG=it_IT.EBCDIC-IT well... let's not say it :D (I actually had to use that :((()

Nothing a setlocale wouldn't fix anyway, just like we already do for gerbers and stuff...