pcbnew screenshot with LAYER_WIDGET

FAQ:

How do I turn off layers?

This is one of the most widely asked questions we have experienced. The
LAYER_WIDGET will help users with this question. For this reason, and
the fact that I have 54" of screen real-estate available using two 28"
monitors, I am coding the LAYER_WIDGET to be always visible. It will
initially reside on far right, but you can tear it off and let it
float. If others want to add support to show and hide it later, feel
free to do so, but I insist that you also give me the ability to have it
work the way I wrote it, which is to have it pop up visible and docked
on the right.

Attached is a screen shot in full size. This will not likely fit on
your screen unless your resolution is at least as large as mine but you
can scroll around and get an idea of what a fairly high resolution video
card and monitor will do for PCBNEW. (This is only 1/2 of the full
screen that I have to work with.)

Observations and suggestions moving forward:

1) At this screen resolution, there is a lot of space being wasted in
the toolbars.

2) The "Clearance .." window is not fully visible, because the
containing window it is too small for the font. I suggest a smaller
font size for these windows. As a minimum, the code should size the
window correctly, not just guess (wrongly).

3) The entire right side of the topmost toolbar is being wasted.

4) The Layer combox is soon to be obsoleted. (Should be removed, and
maybe the 2nd topmost toolbar should be combined with the then smaller
1st topmost toolbar.

5) Some of the stuff on the toolbars is not needed if we are paying for
the "Render" tab real-estate anyway. For example "Grid", "Mod Text
Hide", each have toolbar icons. There are more like this. A picture
may be worth a thousand words, but these are not pictures, they are icons.

6) All the rows in my two tabs can each have their own tooltip text,
which complements the already descriptive prompt text.

7) When the aux_right toolbar comes up, it takes up yet another layer of
the onion. But on my screen it would easily fit in with the existing
vertical right toolbar.

8) We should start suggesting and designing for a minimum screen
resolution for users, and that resolution should be revisited each year
and increased.

9) We should soon transition to allow the wxAUI toolbars to be dockable
OR floating. This would let users position the right vertical toolbar
up on top, etc. When doing that, we need to retain the positions for
the next program invocation. wxAUI has support for this that we are not
yet using.

10) I will be happy to move onto other work and probably will not have
time to do more on this UI work than I have already committed to do in
the next day (which is to hook in the LAYER_WIDGET and make it fully
functional.)

Dick

 --------------070301080002050807000106 Content-Type: image/png;
name="pcbnew.png"