Re: Minimum Recommended Screen Resolution

al davis wrote:
> On Friday 22 January 2010, Dick Hollenbeck wrote:
>> I suggest that for year 2010 it be
>>
>> 1280x1024 pixels
>
> 640 x 480 pixels
>
> Sometimes I want several different things on the screen at the
> same time, so any one window will be a lot smaller than the
> whole screen.
>
> Even with a big screen, and using the whole thing, I prefer to
> have as much as possible where the schematic or layout goes, and
> as little as possible in borders and buttons.

I can't image doing any useful CAD work at 640 x 480. My cell phone has
better resolution than that but I don't see myself laying out any PCBs
on it. Even 1024 x 768 would be painful. I believe Dick's thinking is
not just about the available drawing area but also what is the minimum
reasonable size that dialogs have to fit into as well. Knowing this
resolution up front makes it easier to validate dialog box design. Once
all of the AUI functionality is enabled, you should be able to move,
resize, close, etc. all (most?) of the main frame child windows freeing
up as much room for drawing as possible. I for one am not interested
trying to support anything less than 1024 x 768 and even that is pushing it.