Re: GDI+ sucks / how to compile under Windows

--- In kicad-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Manveru <manveru@...> wrote:
> > We are not using wxGraphicsContext yet. Your comments seem to be based
> > on witnessing the combined (stacked) usage of both wxGCDC and
> > wxGraphicsContext.
> I only confirming well known fact - GDI+ is very slow.

Manveru, as i show you is possible use CAIRO instead GDI+ on windows, just switching it on compiling time.
I don't know why you are still doing a crusade against wxGC.
What we have tested wxDCGC without use of Paths and the other instruments: is like drawing a line using as primitive the point.

As we are thinking about rewrite the drawing code we are evaluating to passto wxGC or still with wxDC.
If we still with wxDC could be harder find the motivation to (re)write the code, the current one is doing more or less its dirty work and the work could have a lower priority.
The step here is passing from bitmap graphics to vector graphics that is HWaccelerable, i personally think that nowadays for a CAD that becomes a MUST.

> All criticism - I cannot find good word about GDI+...
We aren't talking about GDI+ but of wxGraphicsContext, you can wrap the library you want with that APIs, CAIRO is an example.

If instead you prefer wxDC please tell us why explicitly and which are the benefits, persuade us, is a less resistance path and we could be motivated to pass through it.

--
Marco