Re: GDI+ sucks / how to compile under Windows

> I didn't see how may I switch to cairo.
As i written in msg #4231 to Torsen, days ago:
http://svn.wxwidgets.org/viewvc/wx?view=revision&revision=62681 is enough a #define.

> And I am not opponent of moving KiCad further and I do not prefer wxDC. But from enything I read till now
> wxGraphicsContext is strongly tied with GDI+ on Windows. I do not know
> whether wxGraphicsContext is good or bad, but as far as I know it is not
> accelerated from HW perspective.

Where is stated this, who said it ?
For what you can see over was enough add 2kB patch to use CAIRO in wxMSW instead GDI+ (as is already implemented for Linux and the API are the same).
GDI+ is HW Accelerated if your Card's Driver support it, wxDC and Bitmaps graphics can't be accelerated by definition.
Which is the better architecture ?

> Do not treat is as a crusade. I only feel not convinced that decision of
> moving to wxGraphicsContext will speed up anything on Windows. I feel couple
> people here would willingly abandon Windows support for achieving some
> results.

I personally spent time latelly on posts and links about this arguments, looks that many of that were using GDI+ to manage Bitmaps with poor results, some others complain about performance with concurrency in a WebServer rescaling images, others complain about drawing TEXT performance (and we haven't text in the strict term).

We don't have concurrency, nor bitmaps, nor massive TEXT and we have a lot of lines expecially for ZONES well collapsable in Paths.
So I'm not much confident that what they say is easly trasportable to us.

> But... there is always an option to write own
> wxGraphicsRenderer<http://docs.wxwidgets.org/2.8.7/wx_wxgraphicsrenderer.html>with
> support for OpenGL or DirectAnything (under Windows).

You could do it, personally i prefer to reuse what is ready, is an interface.

> For me the subject is closed. I do not want to trigger any flame wars here
> or anything else creating negative atmosphere.

After 10 days of "GDI+ sucks" and without taking a look to the code involved, the previous responses, nor the wxWin architecture and after some statements, which do you expect is the result and with the reaction ?
Please, collaborate to keep S/N ratio higher.

--
Marco
Excusatio non petita..