Re: GDI+ sucks / how to compile under Windows

Manveru wrote:

2010/2/13 Dick Hollenbeck <dick@... <mailto:dick@...>>

[...]

We are not using wxGraphicsContext yet. Your comments seem to be
based
on witnessing the combined (stacked) usage of both wxGCDC and
wxGraphicsContext.

I only confirming well known fact - GDI+ is very slow.

And this is not an engineered, or even a deliberate usage. And wxGCDC
was probably deliberately poorly written so folks get off of it ASAP.

I still don't know why any conclusions are necessary at this point.

Let's just get the release out, and then see what is wrong with wxDC
that we don't like. That is where we are now. On wxDC, not on wxGCDC.

Using wxGCDC is like having a bicycle user interface mounted inside a
sports car. Just so customers that were used to riding a bike can
drive
the sports car, complete with peddles. And then when it does not go
faster than a bicycle, we are going to reach conclusions about the
sports car?

Please read, then comment:
http://channel9.msdn.com/forums/Coffeehouse/112853-Is-GDI-slow/
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1757313/wxgraphicscontext-dreadfully-slow-on-windows
http://old.nabble.com/Re%3A-Re-4-%3A-mingw-and-gdi%2B-p18902216.html
http://blogs.msdn.com/cjacks/archive/2006/05/19/gdi-vs-gdi-text-rendering-performance.aspx
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t20857-gdi-performance-issue.html

All criticism - I cannot find good word about GDI+...

--
Manveru

Well this is becoming a good body of evidence that something problematic lurks *below* the graphics stack of wxGraphicsContext on windows. What I find different about this posting, Manveru, is that you are offering information. *Information* is good. Too much *opinion* too early in the process tends to thwart a thorough investigation. I do not want to discourage the gathering of information, and I hope that I did not do that.

What is humorous here is that Microsoft cannot even explain what they are doing as clearly as a 3rd party can. Here I find the best *description* of Microsoft's GDI+, a better description than any I have found from Microsoft about its own work. Humorous is that.

http://wiki.winehq.org/GdiPlus

If anyone is in touch with the MS Windows wxGraphicsContext team, perhaps we can ask members of that team if they have tried to build MS Windows wxGraphicsContext on top of the WINE GDI+. That team (or individual) may have only been exposed to the Microsoft Cool-aid, so far in life.

I personally won't lift a finger to help Microsoft, and at some point I would even say that helping users of Microsoft is helping Microsoft. So I am not a good Microsoft soldier, those that want to march in the Microsoft parade, even though it seems to always be climbing some hill and going the long or wrong way, can and should continue to gather information.

And Marco's comments that wxGraphicsContext for Windows can be parked on top of cairo is also something to keep on the table for future discussions also.

Dick