Re: Python support in kicad (yes, I am --very -- late)

Florian Delizy wrote:
ok for that, but then what isyour answer to the use cases I asked for ?

2010/2/23 Dick Hollenbeck <dick@...>:

Florian Delizy wrote:

Hello Florian, one our python champions! Nice to hear from you again.

The last time we had notice of you was when you snuck into the kitchen
for a
midnight snack, and left python cookie crumbs all over the floor! :-)

Well, I can’t agree more, last time we (my company) decided to use
KiCAD for several projects, but they were eventually outsourced, so I
kind of lost the time I had for it …

really sorry about that, I start over on my own now

My opinions follow:

1) Python has a warm place in my heart.
2) Python is undergoing transition from 2.x to 3.x, this affects the C
API,
and the python source code.
3) I only like 3.x python.

I feel the same

4) I think we should remove the python statements from Kicad C++ code
altogether.

will do

5) We are using boost elsewhere, so removing dependencies on boost is a
no
no.

good to hear that

6) I would like to start supporting python scripts, but *not from within
the
C++ code*, but rather from a "Wizard Fountain". This means no swig. No
C++
to python bindings until later, see below.
The Wizard Fountain:
---------------------------------
[…]

*I don't want to see any swig code munging the core C++ source.*

at least you made your point clear. I didn’t think about WF (didn’t
now the concept before even reading you), why not, I will read about
it.

about the use cases, here are some I had in mind :

- Export/Import scripts in python (IGES, industry proprietaries, Mentor
etc etc)

Write a python script, call it from Wizard Fountain, generate the file that Kicad needs from there.

- Automate production files generation

Write a python script, call it from Wizard Fountain, generate the file that Kicad needs from there.
- Integration with source revision control (eg svn)

Write a python script, call it from Wizard Fountain, generate the file that Kicad needs from there.
- Integration with other CAD systems (for industrial use) (exporting
importing mechanical constraints, thermal simulations etc)

Write a python script, call it from Wizard Fountain, generate the file that Kicad needs from there.
- Integration with other part management systems (automate BOM, and
order, calculate pricing and lead times)

Write a python script, call it from Wizard Fountain, generate the file that Kicad needs from there.
- Integration with simulation software (integrate directly simulation
results in pcb/board editor)

Write a python script, call it from Wizard Fountain, generate the file that Kicad needs from there.
- Allow simultaneous work by multiple peoples (for complex boards)

Don't care, buy a network cable and a horn.

Dick