Re: Default Field names patch

Brian Sidebotham wrote:
Hi Guys,

Sorry I've been quiet for a while, I've been extremely busy building
my rally car.

http links to fancy pictures, please.

About a month ago I had a discussion with Wayne with regards to the
patch that is attached. I have updated the patch so that it applies to
the current testing branch.

To refresh, this patch adds the ability to have a custom default
setting for component field names. Thus Field1 could instead be
Manufacturer, or any other chosen default which saves the user from
having to input this information for every component they create.
Currently the patch puts these defaults in the .pro project file. As
Wayne pointed out there are two problems here:

(1) The .pro project file is probably not the best place to store
these default names.
(2) The defaults are currently edited from the eeschema settings
dialog, and therefore are in the wrong place for .pro project file
settings anyway.

There are a couple of formatting issues with the code and the GUI
rules are not adhered to in this patch, so that needs cleaning up for
a start, but I wanted to get people's opinion on where these default
names should be stored.

It would seem sane to put them in the eeschema options, this would
mean that the settings could be left in the current GUI placement.

If everyone is in agreement, or abstains then I'll tidy up the GUI
implementation and change the patch so that the options get saved
along with the eeschema options. I'll also tidy up the code
formatting.

The feature sounds very useful.

Best Regards,

Brian.