Re: feedback on launchpad

On 7/29/2010 9:28 AM, Dick Hollenbeck wrote:
> On 07/29/2010 08:01 AM, Wayne Stambaugh wrote:

>>> Did you check Enigmail addon for thunderbird? I've used it elsewhere with success.
>>>
>> I am using Enigmail.  The problem isn't in the mail client.  The problem
>> apparently is with Bazaar.  If you follow the thread at the link below you will
>> find that there is a bug that prevents Bazaar from properly merging a so called
>> "stacked branch".  According to the answer I got, this also makes using a form
>> to upload merge bundles to the Launchpad merge request page meaningless until
>> this bug gets fixed.  I may give Bazaar 2.2b1 a try to see if the problem has
>> been fixed.  Although the problem may lie in the server so the new version of
>> the client may not solve the problem until Launchpad updates the version of
>> Bazaar they are using.  Until this bug is fixed, you will have to push your
>> development branch to Launchpad and then send your merge request or continue to
>> use the mailing list for patch requests.
>>
>> https://answers.launchpad.net/launchpad-code/+question/119254
>>
>> Wayne
>>

> http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~launchpad-pqm/launchpad/devel/annotate/head%3A/lib/lp/code/mail/codehandler.py
>
> The launchpad folks have their eye on "a" bug.  They may not be able to
> see the next one until this one is fixed.  I am not so optimistic as
> think there is only one hurdle here.
>
> Wayne,
>
> For us, even if it worked as advertised, it does not really address the
> needs of our casual developers, the ones you so eloquently described in
> your launchpad question.  I think you nailed it.  How hard does this
> have to be?  Even using signed email for the first time, even with
> enigmail, is about 1/2 day's reading for what, just to submit a patch?
> It's silly.

Agreed.  This was the PITA that I was talking about.  It certainly is asking a
lot of the casual developer just to submit a simple patch.

> They, the launchpad.net team, need to step back and address the needs of
> their users, must of whom are only "users" because we made them be
> that.  They may even not be there by choice.  They really would simply
> like to use Kicad and provide a patch in the easiest possible way.

I can't believe someone hasn't already complained about this before.  Maybe
they have and nothing has come of it.  They should make things as easy as
possible to encourage people to participate.  If it is too difficult, folks
will get discouraged and go elsewhere.  Maybe it's meant to be some kind of
test?  If your patient enough and have the technical skills to set all this up
and get it working, you are summarily qualified to submit your patch/

Wayne