Re: A few extra component footprins

On Fri, 13 Aug 2010, Vesa Solonen wrote:

On Thu, 12 Aug 2010, Alex G wrote:

BTW, is the naming of the footprints acceptable?

I think so. It's the easiest to change if needed :)

I've set it at 0.5mm. What value should I increase it to; 1mm? If I
change the radius, I'll also have to adjust the footprint, as a minimim
clearance of 4.4mm from the base of the package to the bend is recommended.

Google "to-220 lead bending radius" found a good International Rectifier application note: http://www.irf.com/technical-info/appnotes/an-1031.pdf So it would work out to 1.2mm, which is on the safe side. Also bent stress relief vertical option might be nice, but that may add too many varables.

Alright, I'll remove the numbering from the mounting hole. I'll leave
the pad outer radius at 6mm, as that is necessary to sufficiently
accommodate an M3 screw.

Now that you said it I had to check M3 nut max width and it says 6.4mm. So maybe 6.5mm is big enough with tolerances. Please don't get mad at me ;)

Sure. I have the S202S02 in front of me. The missing pins are there,
except that they are cut from the base of the package. It is possible
that this may become a standard package (TO-somenumber), or that we will
see more parts with this package in the future, with the missing pins.
Numbering the missing pins will provide consistency should that happen.
If you believe I should ignore the missing pins, and just number
existing ones 1,2,3,4, I have no objection.

Someone wiser than me shoud comment here. I'd make numbering conform to exact pin count this time, but I can see problems coming from various DIP packages with partial pin count. Schematic wise it's a bit mess as multi part packages come to mind when one sees larger pin numbers than pin count.

I am excited about this, and at times, it may be difficult to be
patient. I'm waiting to get my hands on the Perl script that generates
the libs so that I can play around with it. I'll suggest to Oydvind that
we create a branch in Kicad-Newlib for his work.

Done :-)

My work is now at lp:~oyvind-aabling/kicad-newlib/mod.

So far only the libs, but I'll add the perl code as well
when I've cleaned it up a bit and added some license info.

Currently, all parts and module files are rewritten on a full make.
I need to add some checks, so that only changed files gets rewritten.
This requires a rewrite of the toplevel module admin code,
which needs a shineup anyway - it was put together
with a shovel, to get some useful work done :-)

:D I know. Best luck to the cooperation. I'm sure this will bring something good.

Yes, hopefully - Alex, how good are your perl skills ?-)

I'm glad you like them. I drew the 3D packages in Inventor with the
exact dimensions from the datasheet. I want to get any glitches cleared
ASAP, so I'm willing to work on this literally 24/7 (minus
sleep/eat/drink time).

Thank you for your enthusiasm. Take your time, reaching perfection may need infinite time, but we just need something thats always good ;)

I've also created a branch in Kicad-Newlib here:
https://code.launchpad.net/~mr-nuke-me/kicad-newlib/footprints_misc
I'll submit the footprints there once I figure out how to use bzr; and
I'll just ping here.

Great to see you getting along :)

-Vesa