Re: Compiling fails on XML class on Apple OS X with wxWidgets 2.9-svn - Part 2

On Sep 7, 2010, at 17:13 PM, Dick Hollenbeck wrote:

> On 09/07/2010 04:41 AM, Martijn Kuipers wrote:
>> Dear list,
>>
>> I just encountered the same problem as Jerry compiling Kicad on OSX with wxWidget SVN (around 2.9.1), see here:
>> https://lists.launchpad.net/kicad-developers/msg05158.html
>>
>> It is exactly the same error, which is not weird as I followed his instructions to the letter.
>>
>> Jerry, anyone: Did you figure out how to solve this?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Martijn
>>

> I think there could be a bug in the wxWidgets build and install script
> and/or package for your OS (and possibly linux).
>
> If you do a
>
> $ cd /svn/wxWidgets
>
> $ find . -name '*expat*'
>

> you see that wxWidgets is nesting a SVN checkout of expat into their tree.
>
> Yet who installs this library?   I think the problem is basically that
> expat is not being installed, simple as that.
>
> IMO the problem in is in the wxWidgets *package* for your OS (and
> linux), which should probably have a dependency in it for expat.
>
> Dick

Thanks, that sounds plausible. But then we can use xml builtin. So I just compiled wxWidget from SVN with the following line:

./configure --enable-unicode=yes --enable-shared=no --enable-monolithic --with-opengl   --enable-aui --enable-debug --with-expat=builtin --with-osx_cocoa   --with-macosx-sdk=/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.6.sdk/ --prefix=/opt/wxwidgets-svn

I then did a clean checkout of kicad-svn and only had to add the ASSERT line

CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS:STRING=-D__ASSERTMACROS__

And it compiles fine. I only see 2 warnings:
1. ld: warning: in /System/Library/Frameworks//QuickTime.framework/QuickTime, missing required architecture x86_64 in file.
		But that's apple's fault for not providing the x86_64 stuff.

2. ld: warning: option -s is obsolete and being ignored
		This is harmless

Perhaps someone can confirm this works for them and then Jerry can update his osx-compiling page.

/Martijn