Re: Events inside kicad

On 27/ott/2010, at 21.55, Wayne Stambaugh wrote:

>> No, definitelly, i'm not proposing to create a custom internal scripting language, and in case, the SCREEN is not the best place to start with.
>> I also think that bind command events is not a good way, being  too much gui tied you have to listen Menu and Toolbar ones and tomorrow probably  you should also listen additional command IDs.
>>
>> If you don't have them, you can neither have a consumer for those events, Chicken and Egg dilemma.
>
> True.  But what happens if you code egg and chicken never comes?  After a while
> the egg rots.  Remember the boost::python implementation?  Did anyone ever
> write a useful Python program that took advantage of this good idea?  I don't
> remember ever seeing one published since I've been with the project.  I'm sure
> who ever wrote this code thought it was a good idea but they never followed
> through.  This is what I am trying to avoid.  If you can give me an example of
> an "EagleView" window that provides some must have functionality that cannot be
> duplicated in the main application window then I'll give my OK to commit this
> patch.

So why you don't cleanup that ?
You have a rotten egg, is correct yell and trash it if nobody complains.
The other soluction is sterelize the chickens , avoid other chicken enter and choose to change house.

I still personally think that bind Menu, Buttons  and all other GUI objects events still a less clean approach, but still not a problem i'm thrashing the egg, they are free :)

--
Marco