Re: Events inside kicad

On 10/27/2010 4:31 PM, Marco Serantoni wrote:

> On 27/ott/2010, at 21.55, Wayne Stambaugh wrote:
>>>>
>>> No, definitelly, i'm not proposing to create a custom internal scripting language, and in case, the SCREEN is not the best place to start with.
>>> I also think that bind command events is not a good way, being  too much gui tied you have to listen Menu and Toolbar ones and tomorrow probably  you should also listen additional command IDs.
>>>
>>> If you don't have them, you can neither have a consumer for those events, Chicken and Egg dilemma.
>>
>> True.  But what happens if you code egg and chicken never comes?  After a while
>> the egg rots.  Remember the boost::python implementation?  Did anyone ever
>> write a useful Python program that took advantage of this good idea?  I don't
>> remember ever seeing one published since I've been with the project.  I'm sure
>> who ever wrote this code thought it was a good idea but they never followed
>> through.  This is what I am trying to avoid.  If you can give me an example of
>> an "EagleView" window that provides some must have functionality that cannot be
>> duplicated in the main application window then I'll give my OK to commit this
>> patch.
>
> So why you don't cleanup that ?

That was done a long time ago.

> You have a rotten egg, is correct yell and trash it if nobody complains.

This assumes that someone has the time to go back and get rid of it.  Maybe
publishing a personal development branch on launchpad is a better way to go
until we can get a clearer picture of how your code will make Kicad cleaner,
easier to debug, and provide some as yet defined feature.  Then it can be
merged into the testing branch.  This way you get to develop at your pace and
if it doesn't work, someone doesn't have to clean up after it's abandoned.

Wayne