Re: KiCAD file formats

On 2/1/2011 11:00 PM, Nils Hesse wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 3:08 AM, Wayne Stambaugh <stambaughw@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> The decision was made not to use XML due to human readability issues.  A
>> project is currently in progress to use an S-expression based design for
>> this reason.   S-expressions look a bit like the LISP programming
>> language.  Search the mailing list and you can find a lot of discussion
>> about this.
>>

> Hi Wayne,
>
> thanks for the answer.
>
> I know S-expression I had to learn scheme in the university ;).
> I'm glad to hear that there will be another file format - no offense meant :).

Nils,

No offense taken.  Don't expect to see the new file formats in the near future.
 We still need to hash out the details of the EESchema format which will likely
be the first file format to get converted.  Then we'll actually have to roll up
our sleeves and implement it.  The other file formats will likely occur some
time after that.

> Besides, I would like to take a look at the source code of KiCAD. Is
> there a good starting point or something? There are many, many
> files... :)

If you just want to look at the s-expression code, take a look at
common/richio.cpp.  If you are trying to get an overview of the entire project,
build the Doxygen documentation.  It's not complete but it's enough to get you
started.

Wayne