Re: Windows Easy Build

On 06/07/2011 08:27 AM, Brian Sidebotham wrote:
> Hey guy's,
>
> Sorry I've been extremely busy lately. I just noticed a Windows build
> enquiry on the users list and thought I better email a heads-up here
> about the state of the cmake script for easily building KiCad on
> Windows.
>
> It is very nearly complete. Currently you need to have cmake and
> bazaar installed, everything else is tested for and installed as
> necessary. The build uses wxWidgets 2.9.1 and can then branch the
> KiCad bazaar head and compile successfully.
>
> My TODO list is:
>
> (1) Download and install of bazaar as necessary
> (2) General tidy up of script, perhaps turn some of the more complex
> checks into functions
> (3) Get some people to test it!
>
> So it's very close. Installing Bazaar from the script might not be
> very straight forward as the PATH environment won't update in the
> current shell with the install of bazaar, so the script will not be
> able to know where it is.
>
> If it appears too troublesome to start with I will just post the
> script with bazaar being a dependency and we can decide at a later
> date if it's possible to install bazaar in some other way.
>
> If I put the script up as a launchpad project then people will need
> bazaar installed to get the script anyway, so I'm not sure bazaar as a
> dependency is too big a deal.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Brian.

Brian,

Incremental enhancement seems to be a common strategy in software, so don't feel
alone.

What you have should sound good to Windows users, perhaps already, depending on
how well it works.

Maybe Wayne or somebody could take a look at it and try it as an initial
screening before you decide on how much advertising to invest quite yet.

I'd be more interested in a Linux version which builds a Windows Kicad program
set/binary, but I understand that can come later.

Thanks much for all your work on this!

Dick