Re: possible bug: EESCHEMA library path issue

On 8/19/2011 12:05 PM, Dick Hollenbeck wrote:
> Before filing a bug report, I thought I'd ask:
>
> Latest code, EESCHEMA library path issue, Ubuntu Linux.
>
> 1) Load any existing schematic into EESCHEMA through the normal method.
>
> 2) Menu File | New
>
> Immediately an error window shows up:
>
> Load Error!
>
> The following libraries could not be found:
>
>   * power
>   * device
>   * transistors
>   etc.
>
> Looking at the library path settings after this process (Preferences |
> Libraries), one sees that
> /usr/local/share/kicad/template is there,
>
> *but not /usr/local/share/kicad/library*
>
> which is the essence of the problem I think.
>
> Is this a bug on Linux?

Dick,

If the EESchema executable you're running is located in /usr/local/bin or
/usr/local is in your PATH environment variable, /usr/local/share/kicad/library
should be in the list (assuming it exists) of default search paths.  If not,
then this is definitely a bug.  I've run into similar problems when running
EESchema from build folders depending on where I have my Kicad libraries
installed.  The best solution I've found is to set the KICAD environment
variable to point to the base path to my library files.