Re: KiCad new look - new icons and new buttons

On 08/24/2011 12:26 PM, Dick Hollenbeck wrote:
>>> I'd like to propose to use PNG format for all icons and buttons and
>>> 64px for the KiCad buttons to start the 6 current programs. Also I'd
>>> like to propose to drop the 16pt buttons used everywhere for a larger
>>> 24px buttons. That includes top bar buttons as well as lateral (left
>>> and right bars). How does it sound?
>>>
>>> Best regards
>>> Fabrizio
>> Hi Fabrizio,
>>
>> These are very nice looking icons. Thanks for making them available.
>> On my 1920x1080 desktop it would be great to have larger icons to aim
>> my mouse at.
>>
>> Best Regards,
>>
>> Brian.
>
> With the PNG build automation, we should be able to generate any size we want,
> ahead of time.
>
> Supporting two sizes at runtime, requires additional code.  No one has
> volunteered for that code.
>
> To pick your favorite size icons, choices must be made at build time, and you
> must have inkscape installed, and want to re-generate all the *.cpp from *.svg
> files.

With this BITMAP_DEF structure, which could be considered somewhat opaque, it
would be possible to teach it to hold two different sized bitmaps....

Then chose which one is in play at runtime.  But I am not volunteering to do
such work.  I am in Brian's and Fabrizio's camp, which says that a modern
computer has a fairly large number of pixels on it.

Go buy one, be respectful of the time folks are spending on your solution, which
is money.

When other folks spend money on your solution, you should be willing to spend
money on your solution also.

No empathy whatsoever from me on this.

Dick