Re: KiCad new look - new icons and new buttons

On 8/24/2011 5:04 PM, hauptmech wrote:
> 16x16 was just a vote, not a demand :). Screen space is the reason.
> I like jerry's suggestions.
>
> I agree with him that all functionality should be in the menus, so that
> hiding the toolbars does not hurt functionality. Regarding icons in the
> menus, I think it's fine to  remove them.

We now have 2 votes for removing the menu images.

> I just played around with the AUI docking settings in the code. A quick
> and dirty fix is to allow tearing and moving of the button bars (a
> couple boolean flags). Downside is with the present panel construction
> code you can make the interface pretty ugly... but a restart will return
> you to the original state. A longer term solution would be to add a
> View->toolbars-> submenu to turn them on and off; fix the panel filling
> (so a horizontal bar can become vertical, etc); and save tool bar layout
> to the config file.

This may be a non-trivial task.  Ideally you would use the wxAUIManager
LoadPerspective and SavePerspective functions.  SavePerspective creates
a really long string describing the current state of all of the windows
managed by wxAUIManager.  This string can be saved to the applications
configuration settings and loaded at run time using the LoadPerspective
function.  Unfortunately, the window position and size settings are also
included the main window settings which are already saved and loaded by
the base windows class EDA_BASE_FRAME functions LoadSettings and
SaveSettings.  This cannot be removed because the unmanaged windows (
library editor, library viewer, etc.) also require saving and loading
these settings.  I'm guessing you will have to call LoadPerspective
after LoadSettings in the main window initialization functions to make
sure the main window settings are restored correctly.

> Beyond that it looks like the number of toolbars is hardcoded into the
> common code; That could be changed so that toolbars can be added as
> needed and grouped by functionality.
>
> To recap:
> * I just posted a merge proposal for eeschema that harmonizes the menu
> and buttons. If people want I'll volunteer to do the same for the pcbnew
> horizontal bars. This would allow the horizontal bars to be torn free
> and closed by the user for a working session.

I missed this before I replied to Jerry.  I'll take a look at your merge
request when I get a chance.  Thank you for your efforts.

Wayne