Re: label display problem in all (main) kicad apps

On 10/20/2011 02:41 AM, fabrizio wrote:
> Dear All,
> :
> :
> what it should happen
> - I would imagine an icon label should be positioned always "next" to
> its icon. Label should be justified left for the left hand side
> toolbar and right justified for the right hand side toolbar.
>
> If the problem is actually caused by a wrong behaviour in the Wx
> library, please better neglect this e-mail.
>
> I hope this helps
> Regards
> Fabrizio

I think we are talking about "tooltips".  Tooltip positioning is from code within wx
library.  It is possibly variable based on both operating system and based on wx library
version.  So both library version and operating system support will give you different
results.

Half the time on gtk, I'm happy to even see a tooltip.  They often don't even show, (not
on icons, but on other kinds of wxControls) and this is a larger annoyance.

A person with enough time might be able to either join the wxWidgets team or develop an
understanding of the issue and fix the wx code.  I don't think we can do anything about
this from within KiCad, but I am not 100% certain.  There could be some metrics related to
tooltip positioning that are exposed to wx client code through some kind of wx API.

Dick