Re: Concerns about clearing disagreements before committing.

At Sunday 27 of November 2011 19:07:36 from Dick Hollenbeck:
> On 11/27/2011 08:56 AM, Dick Hollenbeck wrote:
> > On 11/26/2011 03:15 PM, Vladimir Uryvaev wrote:
> >> At Saturday 26 of November 2011 23:49:27 from Lorenzo Marcantonio:

> >> In GUI we do not know what precision user mean (or we have to store it),
> >> so it is no useful information.
> >>
> >> In file precision mean storage precision and is known. Anyway, fixed
> >> format is preferable in machine read data. Note, if you speak about
> >> human readability, not storage efficiency, such precision would be
> >> precious information. If you're about efficiency, you would prefer
> >> binary file or BASE64 at least.
> >>
> >> Also as I noted above %g may switch to exponent format (AFAIR it is not
> >> specified by standard -- when it happen), which could be undesirable.

I was wrong here, format define choose of format: %f if -4 <= X < P, %e
otherwise, where X is an exponent in e-format, P is a precision in format
specifier.

> I hope in the biu-plan.txt we understand that I am only talking about
> saving to disk, when I talk about FMT_ENG.

I've got it.

> Vladimir you will have different concerns in the UI, and there are some
> tough design choices there which will take you to different format
> strings.

In my edits in GUI I cut trailing zeros.

> Each context needs to be evaluated separately.  I am not saying anything
> here about those other choices, only that I have made the choice to use a
> certain format string for the saving to disk.

I do not stand for human readability in files, I would ever prefer binary, or
simple ASCII like in gerbers (as machine readability/writability is worth more
for me, than human readability, 'cause I do not read them myself). But if I
design human-readable format, i prefer numbers with clearly defined precision.

I'll better write short own number formatting function for saving/loading,
which:
- configurable (all you want: precision, removing trailing 0s...),
- independent from locale settings,
- possibly faster than printf.

--

--- KeyFP: DC07 D4C3 BB33 E596 CF5E  CEF9 D4E3 B618 65BA 2B61