Re: KiCad roadmap - import 3D model from STEP files?

The STEP format seems to be an standard file for the component manufacturers
that provide 3D models. That's a fact, and that's why I've been thinking
lately
that STEP support could be very interesting to include into kicad, but we
lack of
man/hours ;-)

On the other hand, most component manufacturers that give 3D models for
their
parts put a very restricting license on it. So in any case of step
importing,
the kicad library may be clean of licensed .step files from manufacturers.

Cheers :-)