Re: Library License

On 03/21/2012 01:47 AM, Miguel Angel Ajo Pelayo wrote:
> For wider adoption, may be a LGPL / MIT or BSD license would make more sense.
>
> In my opinion the libraries may be license neutral, or public domain.
>
> It would be great if companies started using Kicad for normal
> development without
> any legal problems.

I agree with you Miguel.  This needs to be thought through better.

The GPLv2 is probably not the proper license, although making a licensing change without
consulting the owner(s) is also not possible.

Arbitrarily stating that the libraries are now public domain would essentially be stealing
from the owner(s).

So we need to proceed with caution, but we do need to look at this, especially with SWEET
down the road.

Dick