Re: Library License

I can be wrong, but, anything that's been designed by an author, has
authorship, and it makes it have copyright.

I understand that for the footprints, and for the schematic symbols,
they will mostly come from IPC/JEDEC or
the datasheet. But even in the work of creating symbol libraries it's
always a little artistic part, which may be
covered under copyright. (For example Spanish law covers for
derivative works -like translations, etc-, in the
end we're translating from datasheet to kicad..., -you know law isn't
black or white, but gray- )

So, I'm my opinion it's not that easy.

I think that something interesting could be including a field in the
libraries with the license model the author gave it,
and encourage the use of licenses as open as possible (if we want the
widest adoption for kicad).

Cheers,
Mike