Re: New Pcbnew file format.

[snip]

>To Cirilo:
>I agree with what you are saying, about being difficult to associate
>individual pieces to a single module if they were all saved the same
>way.  However the module "text" will still be inside of a module 'tag
>block'.  I would say that the parts that make up a module should be
>saved as if the module were centered at (0,0) with a rotation of 0.
>Then the module itself would hold onto where it is on the board, and
>at what rotation. Internally, it would be trivial to calculate the
>actual positions of the each module's pieces.

Ah, OK - I probably misunderstood.  So the issue is really one of generalizing an object 'text' rather than having an object such as 'pcb_text' and 'module_text'.  In that case I agree with you 100% - they are all text but will behave differently when plotted depending on what their parent object is.  Even in the old format the context is clear and the tool I am working on to produce STEP assemblies from a (old format) pcb file uses a generic "text" object rather than separate specialized objects.

- Cirilo