Re: import directory

On 05/05/2012 02:08 PM, Dick Hollenbeck wrote:
Frank,

The lead developers agreed unanimously that we should put the import directory into the
new branch kicad-contrib for now.
I agree as well, but who knew it existed and where?
bzr ???
How does one get a list of existing branches?
If you want to try an bring it up to standards, we would need to see PLUGINs (for Pcbnew
anyway), C++, CMake usage, and conformance to coding standards on a per module basis.
The standard is 'C'. The syntax for EDIF starts with a BNF
definition. Any BNF for EEschema or PCBnew files? Then Yacc,
Lex convert BNF (edif.y) to a 'C' state machine, which is fast.
Does a BNF -> C++ exist? here is also one for Perl, probably not
Java, C# either! I'm from the old school, BC++ and standard Unix/Linux,
GNU make works just fine. I'm an embedded guy where 'C' code is a
luxury, where processor speed and memory size resources are limited.

Sorry I've worked on and ported a couple of embedded C++
applications and was not impressed. I solved a C++ bug where
constructors were run out of sequence - No interrupts in the idle
loop because clocks were not first turned on. C++ does not
guarantee good, maintainable code. C++ is only sort of a standard.
Stroustrup, author of C++ Programming Language, though it was a joke
and wouldn't catch on.

I would recommend loosing up restrictions on contrib code, it is was
it is and not the responsibility of Kicad's main contributors.
If that's not allowed by the group then I guess I will stay over
at edif2kicad.sourceforge.org.

Oh, where is the old/new EEschema reader syntax defined. It would
be nice if the parser could support a blank or comment line for
better .sch human readability. Also with a hierarchical schematic
a file name in addition to the line# would be a great help debugging
.sch generator tools.

cheers,
Frank Bennett
owner, contractor