Re: Introduction and component/footprint integration

On Sat, May 12, 2012 at 05:17:14PM -0700, Henner Zeller wrote:
> I have used eagle for my PCB-needs ever since it was available on DOS
> (uh, that might've been somewhere in the 80ies/early 90ies), and the
> availability later on Linux made me keep using it, but using a closed
> source tool always made me feel icky.

General product quality in eagle makes people feel icky... when pcb
shops refuse gerbers from eagle there *must* be a reason. The UI is
crappy too but that's not a showstopper:P

> So I revisited my choice and looked at kicad which seems like a very
> nice alternative indeed.

For most things kicad is (obviously XD) better than eagle. Also costs
about 900 EUR less :D

> Of course, there are things to improve, and this is where I'd like to
> contribute. My main pain point right now is the integration of
> components and their packages (e.g. when moving to a board, manually
> choose footprints with no clear default association) I'll have to play
> around a bit with it though to come up with concrete ideas. In general
> a more 'smooth' integration between the different tools would probably
> be nice.

*Please* don't ask for a push/shove router. Better yet, implement it :D

> Anyway, since I am probably not the only one, I'd like to know if
> someone is working on this area. Maybe goals are discussed or

IIRC there is no current plan for new user interface in pcbnew, so just
tell what you're thinking about.

--
Lorenzo Marcantonio
Logos Srl