Re: I read the new eeschema file format

On 05/17/2012 01:17 PM, Lorenzo Marcantonio wrote:
> On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 12:23:20PM -0500, Dick Hollenbeck wrote:
>> This points out the difficulty of having a conversation spread out over 2-3 years, with
>> folks coming in and going out.
>>
>> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/kicad/+spec/sweet-coords
>>
> === QUOTE ===
> Within Eeschema, which is based on integer internal units, I propose that we use 1000 "Eeschema internal units" per "pin delta". SWEET fonts are specified in the world as deci-pins. So a font of 8 would have a height of 80% of the distance between two pins spaced at the standard distance (.i.e. pins with no extra gap between them).
> === /QUOTE ===
>
> That is *exactly* what I said (the divider is the same, too). The only thing to be decided is if pins should be saved as 1.000 or 1000. Just say that pin spacing is 1000 units and you're all set: no conversions, only integers and a sensible user unit.
>
> Also why invent the decipin? Font size should be specified in the same unit as everything else. KISS principle for the win!

SWEET is marching to a different master.  It was designed to be human writable, meaning
you can write it with a text editor.

So many decisions were based on achieving that goal.  Go back to grade school, pull out a
pad of graph paper, draw your part on the graph paper, and pick coordinates off the graph
paper.  They do not read as 1000, since each intersection is only an advancement of one unit.

Something this fundamental is in no way negotiable at this point.  Just not going to happen.