Re: Circular interpolation in gerbers

On 11 July 2012 22:02, Hans Henry von Tresckow <hvontres@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 12:49 PM, Marco Mattila <marcom99@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Currently gerbers plotted from pcbnew approximate arcs and circles
>> using linear segments. I implemented circle and arc plotting using the
>> native gerber circular interpolation commands (G02/03) in the
>> multi-quadrant mode. The output looks good in gerbview and gerbv.
>> However, before committing I wanted to post this here. Does someone
>> think that using the interpolation commands is not a good thing
>> (problems with manufacturers, perhaps)?
>>
>> marco

Well done Marco, circular interpolation has been in the standard from
the start (Hence the low G-code number!) - I wouldn't bother making it
optional if the output is good.

In the end if someone has some quirky piece of equipment that can't
use circular interpolation (My CNC lathe from 1984 can easily!) then
they can use a python script or similar to approximate with linear
segments. It'd be an easy script that way round, it's not easy the
other way round!

Thanks for your efforts! :D

Brian.