Patches, MSVC and bitmap underlays

To all,
I've been using KiCad for about a year, but as a developer and Open Source guy I am seeking to contribute something back to the community in the way of tested code patches. Pithy comments in the bug tracker don't convey intent properly, so here is my humble attempt
to say some things in a more appropriate venue and style.

1) Many thanks to Dick Hollenbeck and the KiCad developers for creating and excellent software suite and running a great Open Source project. It's evident that a lot of hard work has been put into it.
This work is greatly appreciated

2) I'm getting the impression that support for the Microsoft compiler suite is not a priority for the KiCad maintainers in any way. Fair enough - I'll stop submitting MSVC specific patches.

3) I've used kicad-winbuilder extensively but it hides all of the warnings unless you go looking for them There are few that could be fixed - are the KiCad maintainers interested in patches to allow a clean
compile on Windows using MinGW?

4) I am working on additions to pcbnew that allow the use of one or two bitmap underlays for assisting in layout. I'm using this to bring some old vintage computer designs back to life, but they could be just as useful when trying to fit a PCB into a complex mechanical layout. I guess these are similar to Clive Nicolson's "reversepcb" code but my patches fully integrate the functionality into layers 29 and 30. If you don't turn on these layers in the layer management dialog, then
the functionality is completely turned off.

Is this of interest to anyone?

   Craig

Follow ups