Re: May nanometre resolution not be sufficient?

Ah, that makes sense then.  Given that the increased resolution is
explicitly stated on the Eagle 6 page I'm pretty sure that they moved
from 100 nm to about 1 pm order of magnitude-wise and from 32 bit
integers to 64 bit integers.

If KiCad wants to stick to 32 bit integers then moving to picometres
would result in a 4x4 mm maximum board size so it's perfectly
understandable to choose nanometres in this case and have a 4x4 m
maximum board size.  :)

Hopefully in the future KiCad will also make the move to 64 bit
integers which will makes sense as 32 bit CPUs are rapidly getting
obsoleted.