← Back to team overview

kicad-developers team mailing list archive

Re: [Bug 1069765] [NEW] Module scale is altered after export and reimport


On 10/24/2012 2:56 PM, Dick Hollenbeck wrote:
On 10/24/2012 01:29 PM, Dick Hollenbeck wrote:
On 10/24/2012 11:09 AM, Wayne Stambaugh wrote:
On 10/24/2012 10:28 AM, Dick Hollenbeck wrote:
On 10/23/2012 03:53 PM, Wayne Stambaugh wrote:
On 10/23/2012 9:44 AM, Dick Hollenbeck wrote:
On 10/22/2012 08:44 PM, Wayne Stambaugh wrote:

I figured out what the problem is.  To be honest, I'm not sure how the
library cache loader didn't fail.  When a NULL BOARD item is passed to
the PCB_PARSER constructor, no layer look up table is created.  When you
attempt to parse the module input, the layer checking algorithm
complains that the layer is indeed not there.  The solution is to
populate the layer look up table with the default layer values using
That sounds exactly like what I had in mind.  Then after that constructor, if a board is
present it could overwrite entries in that same hashtable I guess.
I was actually thinking about using a static member hash table to store
the default table.

It's the same amount of code, yet is requires more memory space and reduces program
startup time.

I don't see the advantage.  Plus this won't cover the case where there is a roque yet
valid layername in a board.

I'd go with the constructor approach, then only have to do straight line
hashtable lookups.

The memory use should be fairly minimal as the hash table is nothing
more than a wxString used to look up a LAYER object where the maximum
number of layer objects is currently 32.  No start up penalty would be
incurred.  The default layer look up table would be populated at run
time the first time is needed.  Since the default layer table is fixed
(unlike the board layer table which can have user defined names), it
only needs to be populated once.  My thinking on this was not have to
recreate the exact same layer look up table for every new instance of
PCB_PARSER which when loading the new footprint library would occur for
each footprint file in the library.  If you think the memory hit is more
detrimental than the performance hit for recreating the table for every
instance of PCB_PARSER, I'm wouldn't be opposed to populating the
current look up table with the default layers in the constructor of

No mention was made of my concern for rogue layernames, but I think I understand your
concerns fully now.

Its going to be easier for me to just fix this.

Thanks for your pointers.

The conversation is taking longer than the coding would.


Now moved to mailing list....

I've been keeping the door open to installing a hashtable into DSNLEXER for keyword lookup.

Instantiating PCB_PARSER for each footprint makes this worrisome, as loading a keyword
hashtable is even a larger task than what we've been talking about.

So I put in a PCB_PARSER that lives as long as the PCB_IO does by making it a member.

PCB_PARSER::init() is now the logical place to load m_layerTable with default layer names.

You were correct about finding those laying around not already translated.   :)

Thanks again,



Thanks for fixing this. I apologize for not being as responsive as usual but I've been up to my eyeballs at work today.