Re: Kicad GAL branch announcement

On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 03:42:48PM +0200, Maciej Suminski wrote:
> I hope you will like the new appearance and notice some speedup
> during panning & zooming. Currently GL renderer is not much faster
> than the legacy one, but there is a lot of room for optimization
> (that is, caching the board geometry in hardware buffers, which will
> likely increase the performance by an order of magnitude).

Did you test with Intel (Tungsten) GPUs? These are notoriously crawling
worms :D

> Note that the GAL view is currently not editable - as the GAL has no
> XOR rendering, editing tools will have to be modified to take
> advantage of the new renderer.

It somewhat bothers me since opengl deprecated logical ops... the
xor could be avoided with a pbuffer and only redrawing stuff, but layer
overlays with 'arithmetic' transparency simply suck. Try gerbv with
cairo, it saturates almost immediately...

--
Lorenzo Marcantonio
Logos Srl