Re: KiCad GAL changelog

Hi Torsten,

On 04/23/2013 10:00 PM, "Torsten Hüter" wrote:
I'd disagree with Lorenzo, as the originator of the GAL I'd suggest that
you stick with the first plan, that means using display list first.
As you have (perhaps) already seen, you can use the group methods for that:
BeginGroup(..)
EndGroup(..)
DrawGroup(..)
DeleteGroup(..)
VBOs are a kind of optimization and I'd implement it, after everything
else works fine. The reason is, that it requires much more code for the
same functionality. For instance you need to keep track of the various
objects, like triangles, triangle strips, quads and you need to organize
the memory transfer etc. At this point I'd implement also the major
drawing routines as shaders using the interface that I've provided. But
I'd do that later.
The question  for me in general is the minimum required OpenGL version,
this is important for shader handling and other features.

Actually, as far as I can see - most of the code you have written for display lists is already working, so there is not much to be done. Right now I use it for testing of item caching, but I am going to implement VBOs and when it is done - push it to repository.

Can you use the current location of the GAL for your bug fixes, this
would be really nice, so that I and Dick for instance can commit as well:
lp:~kicad-testing-committers/kicad/kicad-gal
--
I'm very busy at the moment and can't implement much, but at least I can
give you some support.

I agree with Dick - how about working on just one branch? It is based on your code, so it should be easy to modify it for you and it would be better to maintain just one branch. I have already added you to the team, so you should be able to commit your changes. Your support is very welcome, as you seem to be experienced with graphics programming, every hint is useful.

Kind regards,
--
Maciej Sumiński
CERN BE-CO-HT