Re: layer based constraints

On 04/25/2013 02:22 AM, Simon Huwyler wrote:
As some PCB manufacturers (i.e. seeedstudio) have different clearance-
an width constraints for outer- and inner layer, I had the idea to teach
Kicad to manage “layer based” constraints.

Ok, for the moment, I chatted enough. What do you think about it?

Hi Simon,

We use Kicad at work and we would like to get involved in the development process, not only as a means to return something to this excellent community, but also to actively improve the tools we are using.

To this end, I've also just subscribed to this list (hi everyone!), and I'm keeping a list of features/fixes that I would like to start proposing for implementation. I'm responding to your idea because it was already on our list.

Now, back to your suggestion, here's my two pennies' worth:

a) in my opinion, this should not be tied to layers. Instead it should be part of a "net class" in the design rules. This would allow the user to keep separate inner/outer constraints per net class. When creating/modifying a net class, the user will be able to specify the applicable layers (eg. [2-4,7,12]). This approach is also cleaner, since all constraints will be in the same dialog window.

b) why don't you make a "blueprint" in launchpad for this? I'm no expert in how launchpad works, but it looks like the right tool for submitting ideas and technical details.

Cheers,
Dimitris