Proposal: Move to C++11

Hi there

I think I haven't introduced myself yet. I'm a hobbyist programmer and mechanic by trade. I got into electronics about 2-3 years back with my first micro controller experience using an Arduino. Since then I've been searching for a good free open-source tool to draw schematics and pcb layouts. I quickly found KiCad and I really do like it. Since I am using mostly Apple Macintosh systems to do my programming and designing, I'm currently focusing my efforts on the OS X side of things regarding KiCad (I did some work on the KicadOSXBuilder script that was created by Miguel - Thanks again btw!). Most of my programming in the last couple of years was focused on Objective-C, but I'm moving back to C++ more and more. I hope to be able to contribute a good amount of work to KiCad.

Now on to my proposal/question. I propose to move forward and start using modern C++11 techniques to, for example, replace the BOOST_FOREACH with the range based for loop available in C++11. There might be other things where C++ might be of interest in KiCad. My question regarding this proposal is, if there are any reasons NOT to move to C++11.

Greetings, Felix

Follow ups