Re: Title block date in pcbnew

On 5/2/2013 12:56 AM, Lorenzo Marcantonio wrote:
> On Wed, May 01, 2013 at 04:52:41PM -0400, Wayne Stambaugh wrote:
>> 5) Add a configuration option to select 1), 2), or 3) and let the user
>> decide how they want the title block date to be updated.  Make option 1)
>> the default so the VCS users don't start yelling again.
>>
>> The page properties dialog would be a logical place to add this option
>> setting since all of the other title block entries are set there.  I
>> don't remember what we are doing in the schematic file but my guess is
>> that it's similar so the title block date should be handle there in the
>> same fashion.
>
> In eeschema it's exactly the same (plus the 'use for other sheets too'
> checkboxes). I think I could add a date entry to the dialog but an
> option like that would require some new field in the file and I have no
> idea on how to handle it.

Why would you need to change the file unless you were planning to put
the date generation option in the file?  I'm not sure this setting
really belongs in the board file.  It strikes me as application level
setting.  If you want to add it to the board file, add a new token or
tokens to TITLE_BLOCK::Format().  Something like (edit-date auto/manual)
would do the the trick.  You will have to add code to read it correctly
from the file in PCB_PARSER::parseTITLE_BLOCK().  You'll also need to be
prepared to answer the bug reports that will happen when someone using
an older rev attempts to open the file with the new setting.  Such is
the glamorous life of an open source developer. ;)