>From the technical point of view, I was quite surprised how easy it was to implement what I implemented. Of course I know about the 80-20 roule, but I certainly have 80% of functionality implemented, therefore 20% time effort. –> Very cool things are very well achievable!

Maybe “layer based constraints” is not any more a good term, but I would really like to start a blueprint on this. Maybe called something like “constraint system” or so...?

I just think that now that There will be the push-n-shove router, KiCad becomes even more sophisticated, and I think the constraint possibilities become too limited compared to the overall project features.

uh, another thing, I think this has also been mentioned before: It should be an absolute must to be able to define net classes in eeschema. I think, from the technical point of view, this should be easy.

But I’m still not quite sure about where I, you, we stand about the motivation to do something like this. I have the impression that there is a reluctance in accepting new features at the moment because the main effort is based on getting/keeping the whole package stable and consistent. I myself woul be very eager to help implementing such a thing, but if it is just the wrong time now, I would understand that, of course.
On the other hand, if you folks don’t think there should be an improvement on the constraint system at all, then I disagree but – of course – accept that, too.  Even so, KiCad is great!

And then, I must admit, that I have absolutely no “hands-on-experience” in working for an open-source project and I have no clue about the “work-flow”. I had the somewhat naïve impression that everyone could just contribute something and everyone was happy to take it. Of course this would lead to a complete mess.

Greets
Simon

From: Dick Hollenbeck
Sent: Wednesday, May 08, 2013 4:09 AM
To: Simon Huwyler
Cc: KiCad Developers
Subject: Re: [Kicad-developers] layer based constraints

Load source specctra_import.cpp.

In the comments near the top, look for specctra.pdf.  tells where.

On May 7, 2013 6:20 PM, "Simon Huwyler" <simon.huwyler@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

  A short google consultation showed me this:

  SPECCTRA FOR ORCAD AUTOROUTER
  SPECCTRA for OrCAD is well known for its
  comprehensive feature set. The extensive rule
  set can control a wide range of constraints
  from default board-level rules to rules by net
  and net class.

  "default board-level rules" sounds to me like something like this.
  But unfortunately I didn't find anything yet, and since it's twenty past one I'll call it a day for now. :-)

  Dick, could you tell me where I can find this pdf? Thanks!

  -----Ursprüngliche Nachricht----- From: Simon Huwyler