Re: layer based constraints

On May 8, 2013 7:24 AM, "Simon Huwyler" <simon.huwyler@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> Kicad  evolves based on individual need.  Try and stay close to your
>> individual use cases, else you may end up creating something few will
use.
>> Einstein: as simple as possible, but not simpler.
>

> So, if I get you right, the whole KiCad repository is merely a huge
collection of branches each one created for personal needs (as in my case
the very special need to deal with _fabrication_ layer constraints), and
only time will show what turns out to be a feature that should be taken
into the main branch?

> So, my approch was not that bad, indeed! :-) Therefore, I should upload
this branch, even knowing that it is useful for _me_ and probably no one
else?
> Sorry for these newbie-ish questions. But this is really a whole new
world for me. :-) I was quite reluctant doing so, because I thought I
should only "contribute" things that are really useful to others and have a
chance to eventually make it to the main branch.

This approach is now common in launchpad hosted projects and at github.

Your blueprint idea is worth a try.  I don't know how good its UI is.  But
often great ideas are lost in the  stream of the mailing list.