Re: line endings

On 13 May 2013 03:08, Dick Hollenbeck <dick@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> Could we also try to standardize on line ends? sadly bzr doesn't handle
> >> automatic conversion like svn:eol-style, and diffs come out with ugly
> >> results. Just a personal suggestion, they don't give actually much
> >> trouble.
> >>

> > Line endings:
> >
> > Yes, you should not have to suffer.
> >
> > I will look into it in the next week or so.
> >
> > Dick
>

> OK here is my suggestion after a bit of research.  Follow this:
>
>   http://doc.bazaar.canonical.com/bzr.dev/en/user-reference/eol-help.html
>

> Attached is a proposed rules file.  I put it into my
>
>    ~/.bazaar/rules
>
> on linux in order for it to *become active*.  On windows, it would go
> elsewhere, please
> help with that.

According to the latest and greatest Bazaar documentation:
http://doc.bazaar.canonical.com/beta/en/user-reference/rules-help.html

BZR_HOME/rules is where this file should live, and on Windows BZR_HOME
defines your bazaar profile directory. If the BZR_HOME environment variable
is not set, the directory will default to:

For XP: C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Bazaar\2.0
For W7: C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\bazaar\2.0

We can run a test to see if it works first, for windows, linux and mac
> users, by following
> test steps:
>

> 1) *all* kicad committers put "rules" into play as a test, or one we agree
> on similar to it.

Done

> 2) Then checkout branch rules_check as a test.  rules_check has had the
> tip copy of every
> text file re-committed with lf only into the repo.  Any files you check
> out with the rules
> file in play, will get converted to native line ending format.

Yep, I tested on a Windows machine and the branch gets all text files with
windows line endings.

> Value   Checkout end-of-lines as        Commit end-of-lines as
> native  crlf on Windows, lf otherwise   lf
> lf      lf      lf
> crlf    crlf    lf
> exact   No conversion   Exactly as in file
>

> You can see the table above for row "native" causes the repo to have lf on
> those file, yet
> use native line endings in the working tree, ala SVN.
>

> Until I recommitted all text files, I was having problems with false
> diffs.  This is the
> reason for the *rules_check* repo.  To show that that repo works.  If the
> test passes, I
> can do a similar commit for testing to cross the bridge once and for all.
>
> Unfortunately the attached "rules" file would have no effect it if only
> existed in the
> repo.  You have to copy it where bazaar wants it, although we should put
> it into the repo
> for ease of standardization across all developer's systems.  Bazaar
> developers have
> alluded to a possible future where one in the repo will be effective.
>

> Dick

Thanks for sorting this out Dick!

Best Regards, Brian.