Re: Someone using Eclipse?

On 6/12/2013 8:20 PM, JESSICH Jasmin wrote:
> Hi!
>
> In my daily work I use xemacs/vi and cscope. This is OK for the Kernel
> and smaller C++ programs. But KiCad is a very big project and cscope
> has troubles with C++.

Over the years I have pretty much stuck with Emacs.  I've tried lots of
alternatives but I always come back to Emacs.  For me big IDEs always
seem to be more trouble than they are worth.

> Some of my colleagues use now Eclipse, so I thought I can use it for
> KiCad, too. It is a very powerful tool and its code browser helps to
> understand new Code quickly.

The developer's documentation is a good way to learn your way around the
KiCad source code.  You can build the documentation by running "make
doxygen-docs".  This will create the HTML documentation in the
kicad_src/Documentation/html/ path.  Open the index.html file and browse
away.  This should give you a good idea how the code fits together.  You
will need to install Doxygen on your system to build the documentation.
 The KiCad source code is fairly well documented for a large project.

> Has anybody used Eclipse for source browsing/editing(/building)?
> If yes, any hints to setup the Eclipse project/projects?

I tried Eclipse a few years ago so my experience may be out of date.  I
found the memory footprint of Eclipse excessive and it was difficult to
get everything configured properly.  I was spending too much time trying
to get it to work so I gave up and went back to using Emacs.  That being
said, CMake can create Eclipse projects so it should be possible to use
Eclipse.

> What other tools are you using?

I've use KDbg on Linux for debugging.  With the wxString configuration
tip that Dick suggested, KDbg a good choice if you prefer a graphical
debugger to gdb.  Bazaar is the version control system, CMake is the
build system, and Doxygen is used to generate the source code
documentation so it's important to learn how to use these tools.

It's also a good idea to read the coding style policy and UI guideline
before you do too much coding.  This will save you from be asked to fix
any coding policy issues in your patches before they will be accepted.

Wayne