Re: Windows python scipting work

On 06/15/2013 02:39 PM, Brian Sidebotham wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> Sorry I've not given out much information yet. This is where I am:
>
> I've nearly finished converting wxWidgets to a cmake build system.

You are half man, half amazing.

> There are some more
> options I need to cover first, but it builds well now and with -j 8 it takes 4m30s to
> build a release DLL version on my system (i.e. slow MinGW)
>
> Using the toolchain method it also cross-compiles well under Ubuntu too. I have some work
> to do with the native Linux build, and there are plenty of obscure options which can be
> implemented at a later date - but I want to push to get this put into wxWidgets. Wish we
> me luck!

Good luck!

> I'll do it in the standard way of setting it up as a separate project and push to
> get it merged at some point.

Maybe about 10 of us should join the wxWidgets mailing list and each ask in a different
way about a CMake build system, even before you mention anything....  I'll start now if
you don't mind.

> The same as wxPython is doing really.
>
> The plan is to have a -DWXPYTHON=ON cmake option which will also enter the wxPython
> directory and build that too. That is the next job.

Wow, this is brilliant politically, since it has the potential to pull in the support of
the wxPython team in terms of the lobbying effort.  We can surpass 10, and do so with
known names.

Another thing I would do is send an email to the CMake team.  At one point their main
developers had done a CMake build system for wx.  But it was not rigorous like yours, it
was a facade, simply drove the existing build system from a CMake script, but was a
significant amount of effort and was done by their very top guys.  If they know about your
work, then they can also help with the lobbying.

> This project can then be used by KiCad on Windows to provide the wxPython libraries
> (either as pre-built binaries or as source)
>
> So, it's getting there - converting wxWidgets has taken some time.

Amazing.  Thanks very much!

If you want help with the linux target, then pushing the branch somewhere may get you that
help, perhaps not from me, but from someone.

Dick