Re: Windows python scipting work

On Jun 17, 2013 6:20 AM, "Brian Sidebotham" <brian.sidebotham@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> On 15 June 2013 22:47, Dick Hollenbeck <dick@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> On 06/15/2013 02:39 PM, Brian Sidebotham wrote:
>> > Hi Guys,
>> >
>> > Sorry I've not given out much information yet. This is where I am:
>> >
>> > I've nearly finished converting wxWidgets to a cmake build system.
>>
>> You are half man, half amazing.
>>

>> > There are some more
>> > options I need to cover first, but it builds well now and with -j 8 it
takes 4m30s to
>> > build a release DLL version on my system (i.e. slow MinGW)
>> >
>> > Using the toolchain method it also cross-compiles well under Ubuntu
too. I have some work
>> > to do with the native Linux build, and there are plenty of obscure
options which can be
>> > implemented at a later date - but I want to push to get this put into
wxWidgets. Wish we
>> > me luck!
>>
>> Good luck!
>>
>> > I'll do it in the standard way of setting it up as a separate project
and push to
>> > get it merged at some point.
>>
>> Maybe about 10 of us should join the wxWidgets mailing list and each ask
in a different
>> way about a CMake build system, even before you mention anything....
 I'll start now if
>> you don't mind.
>>

> Thanks for the support and kind words Dick! These things always seem to
take longer than I think.

>> > The same as wxPython is doing really.
>> >
>> > The plan is to have a -DWXPYTHON=ON cmake option which will also enter
the wxPython
>> > directory and build that too. That is the next job.
>>
>> Wow, this is brilliant politically, since it has the potential to pull
in the support of
>> the wxPython team in terms of the lobbying effort.  We can surpass 10,
and do so with
>> known names.
>>
>> Another thing I would do is send an email to the CMake team.  At one
point their main
>> developers had done a CMake build system for wx.  But it was not
rigorous like yours, it
>> was a facade, simply drove the existing build system from a CMake
script, but was a
>> significant amount of effort and was done by their very top guys.  If
they know about your
>> work, then they can also help with the lobbying.
>>

> wxPython work is already started and I don't think it'll take too long. I
will contact the CMake guys to see if we can get them on-board. This is a
completely CMake solution - so the wxWidgets team could great rid of all
the other build system crud that's pickled throughout the codebase. There's
so many build system related files in wxWidgets!

> The thing I won't have covered is wx-config. That will probably need
addressing - but again, at a later date.

> Once I've got the project exsisting somewhere, I'll get in touch with the
CMake and wxPython guys, and then after that get in touch with the
wxWidgets guys.

>> > This project can then be used by KiCad on Windows to provide the
wxPython libraries
>> > (either as pre-built binaries or as source)
>> >
>> > So, it's getting there - converting wxWidgets has taken some time.
>>
>> Amazing.  Thanks very much!
>>
>> If you want help with the linux target, then pushing the branch
somewhere may get you that
>> help, perhaps not from me, but from someone.
>>

>> Dick
>>

> I will also commit the fixes to the Windows Python-a-mingw-us installer
scripts too. This work is virtually complete, just a little tidying and
testing to do.

> I can roll the releases too, if you add me as admin to the google
project. Just let me know what information you need from me to add me in.

User name.

Code.google.com makes it tough to revise files without changing the names.
So please think about that, maybe you need to add a date field to
filenames, like 20130623.

But with that comes maintenance in winbuilder to match, although at least
you know when to do it, since you are now the same guy.  Thanks.

I tested the waters in wx project and they are opposed to cmake "until
scores of users say its really great", but that is probably lip service.
It will need be a quality cmake implementation and all developers not named
Vadim must like it.  He has over 80% of the 71, 000 commits, so the other
developers will be reluctant to rock his boat.

It is ironic that Qt is an existential threat to wx and that cmake is used
with that ( don't remember if its qt or kde using cmake).