kicad-developers team mailing list archive
Mailing list archive
User feedback for the netlist dialog
Some (mostly) trival observation from new users (I'm proselitizing :D),
regarding the netlist dialog in pcbnew (it seems to be voted as the most
obscure dialog in kicad):
- For the 'module selection' option is RTFM time (i.e. nobody has an
idea of how that works); I agree and that's an exotic option anyway,
so I think it's a non issue.
- Module name source: myself I have no idea of why should be necessary
to select the source... there are worse problem if the netlist and the
cmp file mismatchs (but at least we got rid of the backannotation
file). I hope the plan for the future is to keep the netlist only
(what is the usefulness of the cmp file other than not having to pull
netlist code in cvpcb?)
- Exchange/delete extra/delete track mostly clear for everyone
- The 'only report changes in message panel' is the most misunderstood
option of all: I fell on that, too:D the intended meaning is 'only
report changes (but don't actually change anything)' i.e. a dry run
switch: it's actually useful since it works as a netlist compare (will
work even better when netnames are stable). However most people got it
as a 'tell me only stuff different from before, but change it anyway'.
Maybe a better label would be useful
- The 'open netlist' had a better name in the past IIRC... people
wonder why doesn't happen anything :P maybe 'select netlist' or
'browse for netlist' would be better ('open' has a more active
connotation). In fact the file chooser caption is 'select netlist'!
- The rebuild button is another RTFM item :D in fact I only had to use
it for reasons untied to netlist processing... maybe it would be
stand better in the cleanup panel?
- Personally I find the confirmation for each reread annoying...
consider that other cads boasts about automatic netlist transfer; just
like the annotate dialog maybe a just-do-it-and-shut-up permanent
option would be useful.