Re: Install KiCad on non Ubuntu distros - best way?

On 07/02/2013 01:35 PM, Dick Hollenbeck wrote:

>> how about an install script for all linux distro?
>
> "all"  :)
>

> Must we really make "all" linux distros our problem?
> I run linux on a PLC, and oh, my Android cell phone.
>

> The build and install procedure for most contemporary desktop linux distros will have
> these  basic steps in common:
>

> install prerequisites
> checkout kicad source using bzr
> build it using Cmake
> install it using CMake
>
> checkout kicad.library using bzr
> install it using CMake
>

> The last two steps can be replaced with a tar file procedure.
>
> So really the main variance is the very first step.  If you can find a way to abstract
> that, then the rest is common.

"finding a way to abstract that".... means:

I suggest creating a number of equivalent distro specific scripts which did that first
step, "install prerequisites".  Then simply call the distro specific first script from a
common script.

Its the best I can think of, Fabrizio.

You already have the first step in hand for ubuntu/debian.  It could be put into a shell
script, say "install-prerequisites-ubuntu-debian.sh"  That is a good share of linux
distros already.

The RPM based distros may have some commonality between them also, provided there are any
common package names, so with two "step one scripts", you'd have a number of linux distros
covered.

This is the "build your own" on linux discussion winding down.