Re: Online library sharing idea

On 08/06/2013 06:40 PM, Chris Morgan wrote:
> Hello.
>
> Sites like http://www.kicadlib.org/ are great for sharing libraries
> but I was thinking that having integrated online library sharing could
> better distribute the work while making it easier to share and use
> parts. A user could add add trusted sources to their remote libraries,
> contribute new parts, vote on parts etc.
>
> Thoughts? It would probably take a bit of effort to spec out and
> implement things, I was thinking of an indiegogo or kickstarter
> approach to fund the work.
>
> Chris

This has been discussed numerous times, both for eeschema and for pcbnew.

In fact I mentioned it for pcbnew about 4 days ago again.

The eeschema conversation is longer, and archives have it already.

I don't see why a PCBNEW plugin could not use http protocol to implement the PLUGIN
interface.  The PLUGIN interface seems adequate, although we'll see soon how well it fits
the needs of pcbnew after the fp lib table work is done.  There is no search mechanism in
the API, but pcbnew can search footprints after retrieving them using the API.  That may
be adequate, performance wise.  The PLUGIN API, which is an interface, does not prevent
caching being used in the implementation.

Then there is a server.  For read only access, I think a stock http server could probably
work.  Especially if the footprints were stored in the pretty format so they were all in
separate files.

wxWidgets has an http client, and although its reputation is not shiny, it might be
adequate for something so simple as retrieving short files, and grabbing directory listings.

I said before I could write it 3 weeks.

Dick