Re: Online library sharing idea

On Thu, Aug 8, 2013 at 6:09 PM, Dick Hollenbeck <dick@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 08/08/2013 04:44 PM, Chris Morgan wrote:
> > On Thu, Aug 8, 2013 at 12:12 AM, Dick Hollenbeck <dick@xxxxxxxxxxx
> > <mailto:dick@xxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
> >
> >     On 08/07/2013 05:25 AM, Chris Morgan wrote:
> >     > On Tue, Aug 6, 2013 at 9:50 PM, Dick Hollenbeck <dick@xxxxxxxxxxx
> >     <mailto:dick@xxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
> >     >> On 08/06/2013 06:40 PM, Chris Morgan wrote:
> >     >>> Hello.
> >     >>>
> >     >>> Sites like http://www.kicadlib.org/ are great for sharing
> libraries
> >     >>> but I was thinking that having integrated online library sharing
> could
> >     >>> better distribute the work while making it easier to share and
> use
> >     >>> parts. A user could add add trusted sources to their remote
> libraries,
> >     >>> contribute new parts, vote on parts etc.
> >     >>>
> >     >>> Thoughts? It would probably take a bit of effort to spec out and
> >     >>> implement things, I was thinking of an indiegogo or kickstarter
> >     >>> approach to fund the work.
> >     >>>
> >     >>> Chris
> >     >>
> >     >>
> >     >> This has been discussed numerous times, both for eeschema and for
> pcbnew.
> >     >>
> >     >> In fact I mentioned it for pcbnew about 4 days ago again.
> >     >>
> >     >> The eeschema conversation is longer, and archives have it already.
> >     >>
> >     >
> >     > I've done a couple of searches like "kicad online library" and
> "kicad
> >     > network library" that didn't turn up anything. Were different terms
> >     > used in the discussion?
> >

> >     SWEET
> >
> >     This design is one I wrote as a result of endless emails and
> thinking about it:
> >
> >     http://dev.kicad-pcb.org/sweet/
> >
> >     In the source tree you find the doxygen source to this design
> document named new/design.h
> >
> >     SWEET is different than PRETTY in that SWEET is designed to be human
> writable, human
> >     readable.  Whereas PRETTY was intended only to be human readable.
> >
> >     In the end, I decided that eeschema needed to be rewritten, not
> adapted.  This is where
> >     you start in a new directory and start over, but are free to copy
> pieces from the original
> >     work with scrutiny and refinement as you go.
> >
> >     It ended up being too much work for me to fund.  Get about $100,000
> and I might be
> >     interested in doing the work.  Some of it is done already however,
> the parser and I
> >     started writing a GAL client before GAL was a good as it is now.
> >

> >     Dick
> >

> > Hi Dick.
> >
> > I went through the documents and it looks like an interesting approach
> [...]
On the topic of footprints vs. parts (is that the correct way to refer to
them? I was using footprints and symbols), is there any reason why they
couldn't ultimately be treated more similarly in terms of a client/server
approach, or a file based approach? I presume you mean that today eeschema
and pcbnew treat them differently but don't necessarily have to?

Chris